Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In the ER

Pacing back and fourth across the floor, I try to remain calm. I continue to think of her recovery. I will be able to walk through the hospital room door and kiss her soft lips. She will still have her pretty face and gorgeous smile. She is okay! My heart kept telling me this but my mind knew the truth. 

It started like any other morning, we both got up for work and began to get dressed. She kissed me as she walked in the bathroom and started brushing her teeth. Shortly after I followed behind her. About an hour or so later we we dressed and standing in the garage. She had my phone. I wasn't sure what she was doing but I didn't care. She was my wife. 

When she tried to hand the phone back to me, I didn't quite grab it. Shattered my screen became instantly upon impact on the garage concrete. She picked up my phone and instantly began apologizing, I wasn't hearing her. I began yelling and screaming all over a phone. I wasn't sure why I was so angry, the phone still worked fine. As I continued to yell she started to cry, and I couldn't bear to see it so I left. I hopped in the car, let down my windows, and the last thing I heard was her saying 'I love you.' 

I would do anything to hear her voice now. I have been waiting for hours and still no word from the doctors. I need her, I can't lose her. I love her. I stopped pacing and began to cry. I say on the rough carpet beneath me and started to cry. I don't care who saw me. Our friends had come to support us, but they were too scared to talk to me. I blamed myself. If I hadn't been so mean she would be in my arms in our bed smiling. I would do anything just to see her and touch her. I want her to know she will be okay. She is okay. 

Finally, a doctor came out. I prayed for only good news. 

"Where is Ms. Jacqueline's husband?"
"I'm right here."

Our friends and I all get up and practically race towards the doctor. Countless questions escape our lips as we impatiently await his words. After what felt like centuries in this ER waiting room. Finally someone has come to speak with me. My mind began to flash to the moment I got the call. 

I answered my phone seeing my wife's name on the screen. I was almost surprised she wanted to speak with me. 
"Hello baby. I'm --" 
"Who am I speaking to? And who is the owner of this phone?" 
"This is my wife Jacqueline's phone. I'm her husband. Is there something wrong?" 
"Sir, I'm sorry to be the one to inform you that she has been in a terrible accident and has been rushed to Mercy Hospital."
I lost every bit of oxygen in me. I picked up everything and left instantly. I practically flew to the hospital. I needed my wife!

I never got a chance to thank that person who called and told me. I wasn't sure of their authority, just that they were a kind heart. Someone who cared. These thoughts brought me to tears. I couldn't believe the last time I spoke to my wife was during an argument. A stupid argument. I felt stupid. I am stupid. 

As I tuned back into reality I finally was able to hear the doctor say

"She will be fine" 


I'm so stupid I saved it as a draft instead of publishing. 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment