Sunday, November 17, 2013

I Celebrate Myself

In today's society, one would say that there isn't enough self appreciation. Everyone is so focused on fitting in and conforming to society that they lose themselfs in the process. Or they are too afraid to conform that they become jealous of the people within it. I don't think that people should be so attached to fitting in. In the words of Emerson, "Envy is ignorance. Imitation is suicide." Why would we all want to be the same? You only lose your individuality. I love myself, and for those who don't, I really can care less. 
For example, I came from am elementary school where we had to wear uniform everyday. Coming to Whitney Young 7th grade was the happiest day of my life. I got to wear whatever I wanted the first day. It made me feel different. I was so tired if the navy blue and white. 
I'm not saying there should be no firm of unity. However I think within that unity there should be you being you, and no one else. Celebrate yourself. 

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson 

No comments:

Post a Comment